Mixing older technology with newer technology is not something that is “modern” by any stretch of the imagination. In many cases, this is actually a step up toward a higher goal down the road. In the case of Throttle Positioning Sensors (TPS) and Carburetors, it seems the two would never meet on the street. TPS was something common to electronic fuel injection systems.
Baumann Electronic Controls’ US Shift division has simplified the technology gaps to allow late-model electronic transmissions to work seamlessly with OG carburetors. US Shift offers TPS kits that work with Edelbrock, Holley, Street Demon, and other carburetors.
Racers have known that carburetors offer great wide-open throttle response, many times better than electronic fuel injection systems. Tuning these carbureted race applications turned out to be easier with things like TPS in the system. You can think of the TPS system as something similar to the carburetor’s mechanical accelerator pump and cam system. Knowing when to give that extra spray of fuel when the demand is there to prevent engine stumble. The challenge was getting the mechanical technology to work with electronic technology.
For street applications, using a TPS system with a carburetor is common when a modern electronically-controlled automatic transmission is involved. These transmissions require a TPS signal in order to control line pressure and kick-down (downshift) under increased load demand. US Shift has the answer with their TPS kits.
Advantages Of US Shift TPS Kits:
- Non-contact electronic Hall-Effect sensor designed specifically for under-hood throttle position sensing applications. Provides consistent performance over the life of the vehicle and won’t wear out or become intermittent like other throttle position sensors.
- Attractive and durable heavy-gauge bracket and sensor lever constructed of 304 stainless steel alloy enables consistent and stable sensor operation and won’t rust.
- The aesthetically-conscious design provides an integrated look and appears to be part of the carburetor.
- Extremely fast and simple installation with no need for alignment or adjustments.
- Air horn-mounted design allows removal and re-installation of carburetor without disturbing TPS voltage settings.
- Stainless steel hardware, including self-locking sensor mounting screws and actuator cable assembly, provides trouble-free performance and lasting beauty.
- The cable-pull design allows mechanical compliance for silky-smooth operation and eliminates sticking and binding.
- High-Temperature PTFE sensor lead wiring with thin, attractive, fiberglass braid covering and high-temperature, cross-linked polyethylene (XLPE) insulated wiring connection harness with sealed connector is unaffected by under-hood temperatures and moisture.
- Generous 7 feet of wire length eliminates the need for unsightly under-hood splices.
- Compatible with any transmission controller or data-logger.
- Backed by a 3 Year Warranty.
For more information on US Shift or their TPS kits, visit them online at www.usshift.com.